The natural stone you have just purchased for your home or office is an investment that will give you many years of beautiful service. Granite and Marble Stone are products of nature that have been quarried from mountains from all over the world. As a natural product, there are variations in color, grain, pattern and density that actually add to the beauty and charm of the material. Fissures, veining and occasional pitting are also natural characteristics in nature’s stone. Stone is a natural product and simple care and maintenance will keep it looking beautiful. Here are recommendations for the care and maintenance for routine cleaning:
- Clean stone surfaces with a neutral cleaner, stone soap or a mild liquid dishwashing detergent and warm water, use a clean cloth for best results
- Too much cleaner or sealer may leave a film or cause streaks
- Do not use products that contain lemon, vinegar, ammonia or other acids on the granite or marble as this will degrade the sealer
- Rinse the surface thoroughly after washing with the soap solution then dry with a soft cloth for best results
- Do not use scouring powders or creams; these products contain abrasives that may scratch the surface
- Any oil based products will result in staining of granite and marble, be careful with oil based products – such as pizza boxes, olive oil or any other cooking oils, salad dressings, decorative oil bottles that may have a residue on the bottom. If oil based products should spill, it is recommended that you clean the spill as quickly as possible for it may penetrate through the sealer if left on top for over a period of time
- Do not use any plumbers putty when the plumbing work is done as plumbers putty is oil based and will cause staining on granite around fixtures
- As maintenance granite and marble does require sealing with an impregnating sealer, which is done as the final step at fabrication and should be done 2-3 times per year to maintain proper protection.
Please understand that sealer chemically slows down the rate of absorption but will not eliminate absorption.